Sunday, August 22, 2010

advanced style.

I recently posted about my infatuation with street style; fashion at its ground roots. Secretly critiquing, but openly in awe, of the styling choices of the ‘regular consumer’ gets me off. Naturally, fashion magazines, blogs, and scouts focus on the obvious age choice of customer- late teens to early thirties; the age fashion is created for and most idealized by. But what happens after thirty? Who is there to capture the essence of the baby boom generation? And, dare I even say, the G.I. or Silent generation? Is there even fashion after thirty? forty? fifty? sixty? Answer: Yes.


I’ve been obsessed with Advanced Style Blog for years now. Blogger Maayan Zilberman has been chronicling street and personal fashion of senior citizens since 2008 and her blog has recently gained a popular following. Personally, I try to somehow weave this blog into my curriculum every quarter to introduce elderly fashion consumption and personal expression to my awestricken eighteen-year-old-ish students.

Below is a clip featuring 90-year-old Ilona Royce Smithkin, artist and fashion enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment