Tuesday, January 12, 2010

travel - nyc.

So, it's been a few days since I've posted. I've been in New York attending the 99th Annual National Retail Federation Convention & Expo where I gave a very scholarly presentation about entertainment retailing. I also saw a few speakers including Matt Kistler (below, middle), Wal-Mart's SVP of sustainability,

and David Wolfe (below), Creative Manager of the Doneger Group, who discussed fashion trends for 2010. And when I say 'discuss', I really just mean bash every current designer for their poor choices in color, silhouette, fabrication, styling, and runway production shows. Wolfe slammed Michael Kors for streaming his latest fashion show in the internet ("who the hell is going to remember that collection four months from now, anyways?") and scoffed at the tired collections of Louis Vuitton, Marni, Yves St. Laurent, Alexander Wang, Chanel, Pucci, Nina Ricci, Marc Jacobs, and Prada, stating: "These are not new trends. I know trends. I invented trends!!". He pulled out his zinger, "Uh.. I don't think so", more times than I can count. Wolfe is definitely arrogant and undoubtedly brilliant.
The rest of my time was spent browsing the racks at Topshop, Bergdorf Goodman, and countless other spots. Oh, and I took pictures. But who wants to see another self-posed tourist shot of Times Square? Here's some creative retailing strategies, these needed to be shared:

Toys-R-Us in-store ferris wheel

American Girl store
FAO Schwarz


Juicy Couture

No comments:

Post a Comment